Saturday, December 4, 2010

Just Back from a Whirlwind 3 Days in Miami

From Wednesday morning through Friday afternoon, I covered 8 Satellite Art Fairs and the convention center. It was an incredible immersion in art, art lovers and in certain areas, attitude!

Before I get to the art, which will be in tomorrow's posting, I wanted to share some of the inspiring people that I met along the journey.

On December 1st, as I searched for the art shuttle to the Wynwood area, I met a couple who now live in Michigan. While their art collection is extension, over 100 pieces I was told, I was most moved by their passion for art. For them, it was about meeting the artists, learning about the work, being a part of some incredible art related experiences. They have created a building to house and show their work, and the joy they receive from collecting and curating the work was palpable.

On December 3rd, I met a young collector who left friends behind to enjoy several days on his own surrounded by art...at his pace! He didn't want to be rushed by others, he only wanted to experience it on his terms. He was on his way back to a Japanese Gallery for a second look at an artist he really liked. He told me about an upcoming move from the east coast to Atlanta, where he hopes with more space, he'll be able to showcase much of his work (which has been in storage and "under appreciated" or "under visited" for far too long).

While the art fairs and Art Basel Miami is about always about the art, it was refreshing and reassuring to meet those who truly exude a heartfelt passion about feeling and experiencing art at a very pure level. Not for investment, not for status, but for pure love of the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment